CATHOLICISM Series Wins a Christopher AwardBy Word on Fire
NEW YORK, March 21, 2012 — A young adventurer risks his life to reunite trafficked children with their families; African-American maids in the South reclaim their dignity through sharing their stories; a priest travels around the world to explore the history of the Catholic Church. These stories and more are told in the 22 feature films, TV/Cable programs, and books for adults and young people being honored with Christopher Awards, to be presented in New York on May 24th, 2012.
Created in 1949, The Christopher Awards are presented to writers, producers, directors and illustrators whose work affirms the highest values of the human spirit. Christopher Awards program manager, Tony Rossi, says, “Not only are this year’s winners entertaining, engaging and inspiring, they also reflect the power of our individual choices to shape the lives of others in unexpected ways”...
TV & Cable
Non-violent activism in the face of racial injustice rests at the heart of the Emmy Award-winning American Experience: Freedom Riders (PBS/WGBH) about the courageous black and white Americans who endured mob violence to desegregate interstate travel in the South in 1961. For viewers of all faiths, Rev. Robert Barron’s 10-part mini-series, CATHOLICISM (PBS/Word on Fire Ministries), travels around the world to explore the history, beliefs and practices of the Catholic Church through insightful spiritual commentary and breathtaking visuals of artistic treasures. Friendships with his old rabbi and an inner city minister awaken author Mitch Albom’s long dormant quest for God in this Hallmark Hall of Fame adaptation of his best-seller, Have a Little Faith (ABC-TV). The Oprah Winfrey Network’s first original documentary, Serving Life (OWN), explores the hospice program inside a Louisiana maximum security prison where many hardened criminals find redemption through the power of caring for those who are dying. The Academy Award-winning documentary Strangers No More (HBO) highlights the Bialik-Rogozin School in Israel which welcomes children fleeing poverty, political adversity and genocide in other countries, offering them a new home and hope for the future...
The Christophers, a nonprofit organization founded in 1945 by Maryknoll Father James Keller, is rooted in the Judeo-Christian tradition of service to God and humanity. The ancient Chinese proverb—“It’s better to light one candle than to curse the darkness”— guides its publishing, radio, leadership and awards programs. More information about The Christophers is available at www.christophers.org.
Read more about the various award recipients here.
- WTTW PRESENTS U.S. BROADCAST PREMIERE OF CATHOLICISM | 5/5/2011
- Chicago Priest turns Film Producer with 10-part, Hi-Def Epic on Catholicism | 10/2/2008
- Fr. Barron on EWTN: Live on "The World Over" with Raymond Arroyo and on "Bookmark" with Doug Keck | 9/17/2011
- Father Barron interviewed on Salt + Light's "Perspectives" | 10/7/2011
- Father Barron and Mike Leonard's appearance on "Chicago Live!" re-broadcast online | 10/21/2011
- University of Notre Dame to hold CATHOLICISM screening | 11/4/2011
- National Catholic Register: CATHOLICISM to air in Germany | 11/28/2011
- Catholicism Series Hits a Milestone: Over 1,000 Broadcasts on Public Television Nationwide | 12/20/2011
- Father Barron and CATHOLICISM Executive Producer Mike Leonard appear on NBC's Today Show | 12/20/2011
- "Dolan Elevated as Pope Names New Cardinals" - New York Times Online article quotes Fr. Barron | 1/6/2012
- Archdiocese of Denver offers public viewings of the CATHOLICISM series | 1/11/2012
- Providence College: Catholicism Series Creators to Headline Alumni & Family Weekend | 1/17/2012
- Denver Catholic Registry: "Servant of the Word banquet, workshop to honor Father Robert Barron" | 1/24/2012
- New York's NET TV Interviews Father Barron on "Silence and Social Media" | 1/30/2012
- Brisbane's The Catholic Leader: "Gifted US preacher bound for Brisbane" | 2/2/2012
- Father Barron speaks at Elmhurst College | 2/9/2012
- CATHOLICISM Producer Gets Standing Ovation at Providence College | 2/12/2012
- Archbishop Dolan praises Father Barron in Rome keynote address about new media | 2/17/2012
- CATHOLICISM series comes to Boston viewers | 2/17/2012
- Word on Fire Donates CATHOLICISM, a New 10-Part Documentary Series, to U.S. Military Around the World | 2/17/2012
- Watch CATHOLICISM on EWTN Beginning This March | 2/29/2012
- Father Barron's CATHOLICISM Series Inspires Melbourne | 3/5/2012
- The Archdiocese of Sydney Welcomes Father Barron to Australia | 3/2/2012
- Australian National News Publication, "The Age," Covers the Story of CATHOLICISM Down Under | 3/6/2012
- The Anchor: "‘Catholicism’ Series Praised as Important Evangelization Tool" | 3/6/2012
- Brisbane's The Catholic Leader: "Catholics urged to find new ways to evangelise" | 3/15/2012
- Catholic News Agency features Father Barron's article, "Cleansing of the Temple" | 3/14/2012
- CATHOLICISM Series Wins a Christopher Award | 3/21/2012