Catholic News Service: "‘Catholicism’ series airing on PBS is ‘visually splendid’"By Word on Fire
October 15, 2011: The Catholic News Service featured a review of CATHOLICISM on their website.
Read the review below.
A visually splendid and intellectually satisfying introduction to Catholic Christianity is provided by the 10-part video series “Catholicism.” Written and hosted by Father Robert E. Barron, the complete documentary is available for purchase on DVD at Word on Fire, while four, hourlong episodes are airing on PBS affiliates throughout the month of October. (Check local listings or consult this online schedule for the program.)
A priest of the Archdiocese of Chicago, Father Barron is certainly not lacking in academic credentials. He holds a doctorate in sacred theology from France’s Institut Catholique de Paris and serves as the Francis Cardinal George professor of faith and culture at the University of St. Mary of the Lake/Mundelein Seminary. He’s also been a visiting professor at the University of Notre Dame and Rome’s Pontifical University of St. Thomas Aquinas, colloquially known as the Angelicum.
Like his august – and equally well educated — forerunner Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen, however, Father Barron displays a knack for conveying complex ideas in easily grasped, television-friendly terms. His enthusiasm as a narrator also serves to keep the pace pleasingly rapid.
As he explores the identity of Jesus, the main topic of “Amazed and Afraid: The Revelation of God Become Man,” the first episode screened, the globetrotting Father Barron visits lushly photographed holy sites in Bethlehem, Galilee and Jerusalem before traveling on to various sacred locales around Rome. Classical religious artwork – smoothly panned and zoomed in the style justly known among broadcasters as the Ken Burns effect — provides further engaging imagery.
The substantive discussion carried on behind these visuals introduces viewers to the messianic expectations laid down in the prophecies of the Old Testament and to the surprising, sometimes paradoxical, manner in which Jesus — by his life, death and resurrection — fulfilled them.
A first-rate DVD resource for teen and adult religious education, whether in a parish setting or at home – and must-watch public television programming for all old enough to profit from it – “Catholicism” enlists sophisticated production values and an elegantly crafted script in the service of explaining — and celebrating — the faith.
This article is also available on the CNS Blog.
- Fr. Barron "shows off" Catholic faith in 10-part documentary | 6/26/2011
- Euanggelion: The Triumph of Fr. Barron's "Catholicism" | 8/3/2011
- "Priest pioneers own website to talk about God": Father Barron featured on RomeReports.com | 11/18/2010
- Word On Fire featured in Legatus Magazine | 3/1/2010
- UK's The Catholic Herald on Fr. Barron: "Happiness Comes from Self-Giving" | 8/2/2009
- The Anchoress, Elizabeth Scalia of First Things: "Dynamite that will turn the world..." | 12/28/2010
- Father Barron's review of Terrence Malick's "The Tree of Life" featured on Chicago Tribune's "The Seeker" Blog. | 5/26/2011
- Fr. Barron to launch nationally televised program in October | 9/13/2010
- Crain's Chicago Business: "The Rev. Robert Barron takes to TV, blogs, YouTube as a new-media Catholic priest" | 9/27/2010
- CNN.com Belief Blog: "My Take: Why Christians Should Pray for Christopher Hitchens" | 7/13/2010
- The Catholicism Project -- Posted on the Catholic Media Review | 5/2/2009
- YouTube Heresies Article Featured in America | The National Catholic Weekly | 5/25/2009
- Fr. Barron’s Angels and Demons review is featured in a post on the Ignatius Press Blog. | 5/18/2009
- Priest wages war on 'dumbed-down' version of Catholicism -- From Our Sunday Visitor | 5/6/2009
- "CATHOLICISM: A Course in Revolution" | 9/24/2011
- "Father Barron's CATHOLICISM" | 9/24/2011
- NATIONAL REVIEW ONLINE: "Catholicism, No Joke" | 9/26/2011
- "The Catholic Revolution Will Be Televised" | 9/24/2011
- Fr. Barron: "I want our story told, and that’s a reason I did this." | 9/26/2011
- "Catholicism: A Journey to the Heart of the Faith" reviewed by Patheos Book Club | 10/7/2011
- Chicago Sun-Times: Seeing is Believing on ‘Catholicism’ | 10/7/2011
- The Cardinal Newman Society "Eagerly" Recommends CATHOLICISM | 10/9/2011
- ‘Catholicism’ project goes straight to the heart of the Church | 10/9/2011
- Finding Fr. Barron | 10/9/2011
- James Davis of Newsvine.com reviews CATHOLICISM | 10/9/2011
- "Priest's film aims to lift up Catholics"- CATHOLICISM featured in the Chicago Tribune | 10/13/2011
- U.S. Catholic features a review of "Catholicism" | 10/17/2011
- Steven Greydanus of the CT Entertainment Blog reviews CATHOLICISM | 10/18/2011
- Catholic News Service: "‘Catholicism’ series airing on PBS is ‘visually splendid’" | 10/19/2011
- The National Catholic Reporter features an article about CATHOLICISM on PBS | 10/26/2011
- Andrew Sullivan's "The Daily Beast" features a Father Barron Commentary | 10/31/2011
- Father Barron's review of "Ides of March" featured in Washington Post | 11/2/2011
- EWTN Presents Father Robert Barron’s Epic Series ‘Catholicism’ | 11/1/2011
- "America, the National Catholic Weekly" reviews CATHOLICISM | 11/18/2011
- Patheos: Matt Emerson defends CATHOLICISM | 11/18/2011
- "CATHOLICISM is dynamite": Series premieres on Canada's Salt + Light Television | 11/20/2011
- Catholic News Agency runs Father Barron's defense of the new Missal | 11/23/2011
- Catholics Flock to CATHOLICISM Series in Parishes | 2/24/2012
- Catholic News Agency: Let's stop talking about evangelization and do it! | 3/7/2012
- CatholicTV Monthly's February issue features full-length special on Father Barron and CATHOLICISM | 3/15/2012