Crain's Chicago Business: "The Rev. Robert Barron takes to TV, blogs, YouTube as a new-media Catholic priest"By Word On Fire
The author of 10 books, he has posted more than 180 cultural commentaries on YouTube and delivers a weekly homily on Relevant Radio (WNTD-AM/950 in Chicago). He contributes guest blogs to CNN.com and ABC.com, adding pithy, pointed commentary to hot topics. He has filmed a 10-part documentary, “The Catholicism Project,” which he hopes will air on public television next year.
On Sunday, he will begin presenting a half-hour television show, “Word on Fire with Father Barron,” on WGN America. It's paid programming, the airwaves' equivalent of vanity publishing; his messages, from earlier DVDs, will air nationwide for 13 weeks (at 8:30 a.m. Sundays in Chicago). The airtime will be paid for by private donors; he declines to reveal the cost.
“My job is to bring the Catholic perspective to bear,” says the Rev. Barron, 50. Catholicism, he says, “has been underrepresented in the conversation.”
What a conversation it is. The church's sex-abuse scandal remains a global news story. Religion is an incendiary topic, from the ethics of stem-cell research to questions on the very existence of God, fueled by sophisticated “new atheists” such as theoretical physicist Stephen Hawking, whose anti- creationist “The Grand Design” is a non-fiction best seller.
The Rev. Barron is founder of Word on Fire Catholic Charities, a non-profit he launched in 2000 that supports his evangelistic endeavors and pays his salary, which he declines to reveal. (Word on Fire received 501[c]3 status in 2009; its IRS Form 990 is not yet available.) He is also a professor at University of St. Mary of the Lake/Mundelein Seminary, where he teaches three courses a year.
To read the entire article, click here.
Media inquiries, contact Nanette Noffsinger at nanetten(at)aol(dot)com or 615-776-4230.
- Fr. Barron "shows off" Catholic faith in 10-part documentary | 6/26/2011
- Euanggelion: The Triumph of Fr. Barron's "Catholicism" | 8/3/2011
- "Priest pioneers own website to talk about God": Father Barron featured on RomeReports.com | 11/18/2010
- Word On Fire featured in Legatus Magazine | 3/1/2010
- UK's The Catholic Herald on Fr. Barron: "Happiness Comes from Self-Giving" | 8/2/2009
- The Anchoress, Elizabeth Scalia of First Things: "Dynamite that will turn the world..." | 12/28/2010
- Father Barron's review of Terrence Malick's "The Tree of Life" featured on Chicago Tribune's "The Seeker" Blog. | 5/26/2011
- Fr. Barron to launch nationally televised program in October | 9/13/2010
- Crain's Chicago Business: "The Rev. Robert Barron takes to TV, blogs, YouTube as a new-media Catholic priest" | 9/27/2010
- CNN.com Belief Blog: "My Take: Why Christians Should Pray for Christopher Hitchens" | 7/13/2010
- The Catholicism Project -- Posted on the Catholic Media Review | 5/2/2009
- YouTube Heresies Article Featured in America | The National Catholic Weekly | 5/25/2009
- Fr. Barron’s Angels and Demons review is featured in a post on the Ignatius Press Blog. | 5/18/2009
- Priest wages war on 'dumbed-down' version of Catholicism -- From Our Sunday Visitor | 5/6/2009
- "CATHOLICISM: A Course in Revolution" | 9/24/2011
- "Father Barron's CATHOLICISM" | 9/24/2011
- NATIONAL REVIEW ONLINE: "Catholicism, No Joke" | 9/26/2011
- "The Catholic Revolution Will Be Televised" | 9/24/2011
- Fr. Barron: "I want our story told, and that’s a reason I did this." | 9/26/2011
- "Catholicism: A Journey to the Heart of the Faith" reviewed by Patheos Book Club | 10/7/2011
- Chicago Sun-Times: Seeing is Believing on ‘Catholicism’ | 10/7/2011
- The Cardinal Newman Society "Eagerly" Recommends CATHOLICISM | 10/9/2011
- ‘Catholicism’ project goes straight to the heart of the Church | 10/9/2011
- Finding Fr. Barron | 10/9/2011
- James Davis of Newsvine.com reviews CATHOLICISM | 10/9/2011
- "Priest's film aims to lift up Catholics"- CATHOLICISM featured in the Chicago Tribune | 10/13/2011
- U.S. Catholic features a review of "Catholicism" | 10/17/2011
- Steven Greydanus of the CT Entertainment Blog reviews CATHOLICISM | 10/18/2011
- Catholic News Service: "‘Catholicism’ series airing on PBS is ‘visually splendid’" | 10/19/2011
- The National Catholic Reporter features an article about CATHOLICISM on PBS | 10/26/2011
- Andrew Sullivan's "The Daily Beast" features a Father Barron Commentary | 10/31/2011
- Father Barron's review of "Ides of March" featured in Washington Post | 11/2/2011
- EWTN Presents Father Robert Barron’s Epic Series ‘Catholicism’ | 11/1/2011
- "America, the National Catholic Weekly" reviews CATHOLICISM | 11/18/2011
- Patheos: Matt Emerson defends CATHOLICISM | 11/18/2011
- "CATHOLICISM is dynamite": Series premieres on Canada's Salt + Light Television | 11/20/2011
- Catholic News Agency runs Father Barron's defense of the new Missal | 11/23/2011
- Catholics Flock to CATHOLICISM Series in Parishes | 2/24/2012
- Catholic News Agency: Let's stop talking about evangelization and do it! | 3/7/2012
- CatholicTV Monthly's February issue features full-length special on Father Barron and CATHOLICISM | 3/15/2012